3.14.2014

Finally...A Donut

One huge problem for me being dairy and soy free is going without a donut. (Although, I will admit the only thing I really really miss is a good bowl of cereal. You can fake just about everything else but you can't fake a milk in a cereal bowl!)

Back to the donut. I've tried to make a few different ones but homemade donuts are always so heavy and good for the first day, baked or fried. All I wanted was a nice, light, fluffy, bakery kind of donut. You can't find that homemade (if you have a recipe that can give me that please share!!!).

I was looking around on pinterest and discovered these.

Donuts:
2 cups of cake flour (apparently this is the secret to not heavy donuts. how true that is, I'm not sure)
3/4 cup of sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup Almond Milk
1/2 cup applesauce (I think this helped make it lighter too)
2 tablespoons Earth's Balance Soy Free butter

1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 cup of sugar for the topping.

Mix cake flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Add milk, applesauce and melted butter until just blended.
Spoon into greased donut pan and bake for 5 mins. (If you use a mini muffin tin, like me, it needs to go a few minutes longer. You'll just have to check. And yes, I need to get a donut pan or maker!) Let rest in pan for about a minute.

Mix together cinnamon and sugar. Roll warm donut in mixture and let cool.

I made these on a monday and they were still good on friday. They are the best ones yet. Still not a light as a bakery donut can be but pretty darn close. Probably as close as you're going to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment