12.21.2012

Sleeping?

A few months ago we were struggling to get Makenzie to sleep. She would be awake for hours in the middle of the night or not go to sleep at all. And if she did, we had to rock her until she was completely to sleep then sneak out. She'd wake up looking for a paci (we then put 12 in her bed). It was bad.

Sleep? Ha! She laughed in it's face.

That time seems so long ago. She now put herself to sleep. And if she wakes up in the middle of the night and does it herself, also.

Now there are days she doesn't want me to rock her. Sometimes not even read to her.

Today she wanted me to rock her to sleep.

If you asked me a few months ago if I would gladly and joyfully do it, I'd say I'd do it but I wouldn't want to. My legs would be tired, I'd be tired.

Wow.

I feel bad about my attitude.

This, too, shall pass.

And boy, does it ever!

I jumped on the chance to rock her!

Funny, how time and experience change your perspective. There are nights I would love to rock her. I just wish I would have known then what I know now. I wish I didn't get mad at her for not sleeping at night. I wish I didn't joyfully rock her for hours at night when she wasn't going to sleep.

But that was ages ago. I have now with her. I want the now to be the best that it can be. Because this, too, shall pass. And all the fun parts the go with the bad will be gone, too. I want to hold on to her being little because she's growing way too fast.

A Great Grandma told me how happy she was to hear that I would still rock her to sleep. She said there is no good reason (except selfishness) to make a baby sleep on their own when they're not ready. When they're ready, they'll do it without your help. Makenzie did. Without me pushing her.

I wish she would have told me that last year!

Babies grow too fast! Sleep catches up, cleaning and laundry do get done.

Wait....she's a teenager who wants nothing to do with me....

That fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment