Yesterday I got back into my routine of spending a few minutes with the ladies of Proverbs 31. Ever since I started doing this daily, I've been so blessed by their insights and conversations. But yesterday I was really convicted and I got extremely excited!
He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward him for what he has done.
Proverbs 19:17
This was their focus verse. You here all the time how much God will reward you for giving. Sometimes that reward even seems to be the reason for giving. But as I read through the post I saw that this was not her heart. Her heart was moved by the poor. She stated over and over again that God moves through the poor. God moves through giving. We shouldn't be focus on the reward God gives us, but on the way God moves. The compassion in our hearts should be foremost in our giving. Yes, we'll get an eternal reward that is far better than anything we could ever imagine. Yes, we'll get an earthly reward by seeing what our giving can do through God blessing it. And yes, maybe we'll even get some kind of slap on the back or high five, maybe even a little money in return. But our focus shouldn't be on those things, it should be on God and His blessings for others, bringing Him glory, showing others God's love and, above all, allowing God to move through us, in us and around us. God has blessings far beyond our imagination, if only we would open up, move over and let God give.
And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is My disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.
Matthew 10:42
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you so that in all things at all times having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
2 Corinthians 9:6-8
God gives us all that we would ever need. He promises to take care of us. Let Him use our abundance to bless others, especially during the holiday season. Let's face it, we live in America. If you're reading this, you have a computer and internet. You have food to eat, presents to give your family.
And that is why I'm so excited about this! I'm excited about giving! I remember a few years ago doing this and the joy I felt in doing it. (I'm not trying to give a speech about how we spend our money. And I couldn't care less how you spend yours. But we just got back from an amazing vacation, spent way more than we needed to and still have some money left over. This is why I'm so convicted about doing this.) On Sunday we were presented the opportunity to buy Christmas presents for the children of Keystone Correctional Facility. Their parents are either in jail or in the half way house. They have no job, hardly any money and no way to buy presents for the children. A long time ago I would look at these people and say that it's their own fault and think nothing of it. That used to be my heart. Our church has been extremely involved with Keystone, bringing the love of God into their lives. Within the last few months, at least 10 men from Keystone have come forward for baptism. I can see their lives being transformed with the love of God our church has shown them. They bring their families to church. I can see these children with my own eyes. (Isn't it funny how was have to see to believe?) Of course I knew there were children involved, but I had to see them for them to break my heart. I can see God moving through these children, these families. So why not show the love God has for them, for me?
Heal my heart and make it clean
Open my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like You have loved me
Break my heart for what breaks Yours
Everything I am for Your kingdom's cause
As I go from nothing to eternity.
(Hillsong United: Hosanna)
No comments:
Post a Comment